PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - Chair restoration

Luis Gomez
06-26-2014, 06:06 PM
Hi Roger, I hope all is well. I have a new project and need your help, attached are the pictures of a chair an ottoman that have not been properly care for. What steps should I take to bring life back to them?
Thank you,
Luis

Roger Koh
07-03-2014, 12:22 PM
>>> What steps should I take to bring life back to them?

The approach to bring them back to life is to know the original leather type.
It certainly looks aniline, whether it is a wax pull-up will need further identification as the used areas may have the wax effect diminishes, we have to look at the unused areas (reverse cushion side) to check for a positive sign of a wax pull-up. We will then use the appropriate matched Leather Problem Solving Guide accordingly.

Going through the pictures . . .

This picture show faded except the hidden area.
Aniline leathers color derived mainly from the dyestuff, the wax effect and fatliquor do intensify and magnify the color to a degree. Dormant dyestuff below surface may be activated by Hydrator-3.3 to resurface this technique will reduce re-dyeing it. Thereafter Fatliquor-5.0 magnify and intensify it with optional Wax-Effect-8.6 to bring back the fashion wax effect.

This ottoman shows the natural healing scar marks, testify or proof of a full grain leather (highest quality of leather). The side wrinkle effect may suggest wax pull-up effect (may have to check unused hidden areas to confirm).
Stains need to be identify and treat them according from the reference guide and any darkest stain may be camouflage with the lightest dyestuff possible. In most cases to retain the value of aniline leathers the recommended approach is to go darker. Note the difference when using a transparent dyestuff, as it is different from an opaque pigment coloring where you get what you see. Aniline works by layers just like water coloring.

Cuts are repair by Bond-3D and may take on a darkening effect just like the natural healing scar we see on the ottoman.

Contrasting coloring, need to take note of the darkest un-removal stain to decide on coloring.

Stains may need to be positively identified to produce the best response.
Darkening effect may be grease related, stiff darkening marks may be protein-based related stains and browning may be vegetable and plants related stains, you may refer to the Leather Problem Solving Guide for the removal process.

Dyeing option:
When the surface is absorbent and best observe during the Hydrator-3.3 process to produce an even appearance “staining” dyestuff Aniline-21 is being used and this is used prior to Fatliquor-5.0 in this sequence:

Absorbent surface with even appearance during Hydrator-3.3 inspection:
Anilnie-21 application > Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6 (optional) > AnilineTop-21G/S > Protector-B+

Semi-Absorbent surface with blotchy appearance during Hydrator-3.3 inspection:
Fatliquor-5.0 > Wax Effect-8.6 > Adhesor-73 > Aniline-76 > AnilineTop-76G/S > Protector-B+

Will need further input to decide which route to take.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]

Luis Gomez
07-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Attached are two pictures of the side and back of the cushion, I do not think this is a wax pull-up. I have aniline dye-21 from your RR7 kit, plenty of hydrator-3.3, fatliquor-5.0 and spotters from your other kits. Should I work on the individual stains or hydrate the leather first? I have no problem with the leather getting darker as long as we can make it as even in appearance as possible. What is going to be the first step?
Thank you,
Luis

Roger Koh
07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
>>> I do not think this is a wax pull-up.

Yes! A agree.

The first step is to work out all above and below surfaces soiling and stains.

Use this Aniline (A) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference for sequence of steps.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]
www.LeatherDoctor.com

sydneyleathercleaners
07-13-2014, 11:13 PM
Please post the results, we would like to see the progress...