PDA

View Full Version : Blunt Cut In Nappa Leather

AdamGarciaTX
06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I recently refreshed my Nappa leather steering wheel and couldn't be more pleased with the results. At a family get-together, a couple of relatives were asking about my car and I mentioned the refinish. Needless to say multiple members wanted to see it so I let them. Being the trusting person that I am, I gave them the keys and didnt give another thought to it, bad mistake. One of my relatives that got into my car, felt the refinished leather, and gotout, ended up damaging the steering wheel. I'm not exactly sure who it was as it is in the bottom right corner of the steering wheel so it was facing away from the driver the entire time. I don't know what cut through the leather either, it could have been a watch, ring or even keys even though my car has keyless go so the keys are not necessary. Needless to say, I'm now the one that has to deal with it and want to know what I need in order to fix it.

Roger Koh
06-24-2014, 10:37 AM
Well the repair is possible but first like to know what products you have used for refreshing your steering wheel recently?

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]

AdamGarciaTX
06-24-2014, 10:58 AM
It was sanded, redyed with water based dye then finished with Napa topcoat 84 mixed with duller 63 then protector d was applied.

Roger Koh
06-24-2014, 11:22 AM
The entire sequence of process has to be repeated accordingly.

A preparatory cleaning need to be done with removing the Protector-D, otherwise may pose an adhesion problem. Protector-D is removed with either Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 or Prep-7.7 Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.

Sanding is part of this repair to smoothen and eliminate the scratches.
Stucco-90 will help to fill up the groove or cut and sand to smooth prior to coloring.
Color can be added to the Stucco-90 to reduce the need for color coverage.
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/the-Repair-%E2%80%93-Stucco-dsh-90/Categories

When the above repairs to satisfactorily achieved refinishing is done accordingly to your previous experience.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]