PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Confused about type of leather

Mash
12-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Hello! I am new here and quite an amature at differentiating leather types. I have a leather sofa suite on which i have performed a water test for the purpose of restoring it. I followed the instructions on liquidleather.com an the result was the drop of water did not absorb after more than 15 minutes. This then, according to them told me that my suite is of corrected leather. So i went ahead and bought their scuff master kit. I did one panel last night and all seemed ok until i applied a hair drier to it. The leather started wrinkling right before my eyes. Even after switching off the hair drier it kept wrinkling!
I have attached what i hope is a decent picture of the leather. Could anyone please tell me if it is corrected or wax pull up leather?
Thank you for reading on till this point and hope you can help.

Roger Koh
12-16-2013, 01:45 PM
>>> Could anyone please tell me if it is corrected or wax pull up leather?

This is leather that has a heavy finish, perhaps it is corrected, embossed and a Two-Tone finishes to it. Definitely not a wax pull-up leather.

>>> So i went ahead and bought their scuff master kit.

What is the purpose for this kit?

>>> I did one panel last night and all seemed ok until i applied a hair drier to it. The leather started wrinkling right before my eyes. Even after switching off the hair drier it kept wrinkling!

Heat has shrunk the leather, the fatliquor (fat, oil and water) vaporize and need to be hydrated and stretch back to original position and fatliquor replenished it.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

Mash
12-16-2013, 11:25 PM
>>> Could anyone please tell me if it is corrected or wax pull up leather?

This is leather that has a heavy finish, perhaps it is corrected, embossed and a Two-Tone finishes to it. Definitely not a wax pull-up leather.

>>> So i went ahead and bought their scuff master kit.

What is the purpose for this kit?

>>> I did one panel last night and all seemed ok until i applied a hair drier to it. The leather started wrinkling right before my eyes. Even after switching off the hair drier it kept wrinkling!

Heat has shrunk the leather, the fatliquor (fat, oil and water) vaporize and need to be hydrated and stretch back to original position and fatliquor replenished it.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thanx for your reply Roger.
The scuffmaster kit from liquidleather is a colour restoration kit that comes with a cleaner, degreaser and dye.

Mash
12-17-2013, 03:26 AM
Thanx for your reply Roger.
The scuffmaster kit from liquidleather is a colour restoration kit that comes with a cleaner, degreaser and dye.

Is it safe to use this kit from liquidleather called scuff master on this type of leather?

Roger Koh
12-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Do you think what you have done is safe?

Do you wish to correct the shrinkage?

Can you show the before picture?

How do you wish the leather to look after refinishing?

I can then give my recommendation.

Show a overall view of the leather finishes, it has to be positively identified prior to match a suitable finishing system.

Look like it is a Two-Tone pigmented finishes; you will then need a translucent hybrid dyestuff as secondary coloring.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com