PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Savage) - Please help me save my couch!

Christinaplus7
10-04-2013, 05:02 AM
I bought a couch off kijiji recently and even though I asked many questions about the quality and condition, they lied and after a 3 hour drive to get there and a 3 hour drive awaiting us, I couldn't go home empty handed. I was quite dissapointed and I hope I can save this couch! It seems like it was good leather but they didn't take care of it at all. The cushions have cracked badly and feel much thinner than the rest of the couch. They have also darkened in places considerably. I'm thinking that the cushions could use restuffing as well but I don't know how to do that since they are not removable.

I've read a fair amount on this forum already and I think I know that I'm going to need the impregnator 26 at the very least...possibly the leather bond. I'm not sure. I just want to make this couch better. It doens't have to look brand new, just not fit for the dump!

#1 Close up of the worst damage
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/ChristinaJoyRay/image-3.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/ChristinaJoyRay/media/image-3.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/ChristinaJoyRay/image-2.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/ChristinaJoyRay/media/image-2.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/ChristinaJoyRay/image-1.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/ChristinaJoyRay/media/image-1.jpg.html)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/ChristinaJoyRay/image.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/ChristinaJoyRay/media/image.jpg.html)

I hope that this can be saved! The owners (as they were talking the couch up while we were staring at it in horror), said that it's very good leather that the colour goes all the way through and has a very thin coating (or maybe no coating...though I've learned now that all leather has a coating of some sort). I've checked and the colour goes all the way through to the suade layer underneath (same colour). I pulled on it and I *think* it lightened....it's a dark colour and it's in my basement so....not positive. I can try again. I lightly dragged my nail across a good part of the leather and it left a white mark...though I didn't try to rub it out or heat it up.

Please help me narrow down what I need to fix this, if it's possible!

Christina

Roger Koh
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Picture Observation:

#1 Close up of the worst damage.
Picture shows wear to the finishes into the leather crust as well as the darkening build up soiling from possible bare body contact.

Picture shows more darkening soiling from the common body oil, grease and sweat buildup or accumulated soiling.

Picture shows lightening possible nail scratch marks and original darkening scar marks associated with gloss finishes aniline leathers.

Overall the color is closest to Aniline Red-Brown

Leather Identification:
From picture observation, this leather finishes type is identified as “Gloss Aniline” with red-brown as closest to the original color. As described “I've checked and the colour goes all the way through to the suede layer underneath (same colour). It means that the leather has been dyed through or vat-dyed with staining aniline dye. The smooth crust side may or may not be spray dyed to further improve appearance before a clear topcoat that enhance the intensity of the coloring or amplified the beauty of the crust. While doing so, the natural blemishes like the natural healing scars will also show through.

Existing Condition:
Worn areas becomes blemishes, accumulated darkening soiling when remove may reveal finishes damages and contribute to a larger areas of blemishes. Surface repairs to strengthen the leather structure with Impregnator-26 and Adhesor-73 to smoothen the skin will take on a darkening effect that looks like original blemishes but unnatural with existing color contrast. The solution is to camouflage these darkening unnatural blemishes with increase color intensity by adding dark brown to the red brown and coats over it with Aniline-76 “coating” dyestuff instead of Aniline-21 “staining” dyestuff. Staining dyestuff is applied by rubbing into the leather while coating dyestuff is applied by airbrushing for professional result. Prior to color and topcoat refinishing, a sealer coat with Adhesor-73 is used to even out the absorbent rate so that the surface receive an even film of transparent coloring with an even intensity. Above is a brief of how to solve the refinishing problem, but has to be connected with the entire refinishing system in logical sequence.

>>> They didn't take care of it at all.

The leather will need a complete degreasing or restorative cleaning, leather rejuvenating, repair and refinishing system. To restore and retain an aniline transparent finish, the intensity of the red brown has to increase to camouflage potential darkening effect after leather structure and skin repairs.

>>> The cushions have cracked badly and feel much thinner than the rest of the couch. I'm going to need the impregnator 26 at the very least...possibly the leather bond. I'm not sure.

May need a higher picture resolution to see the extent of the cracking. Possible products of cracks are Bond-3D for bonding repairs; Impregnator-26 for structure weakness of over-stretched, Surface roughness may need Adhesor-73. Prior to repairs Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 system is to be initialed prior to repairing.

>>> They have also darkened in places considerably.

The darkening in places is most probable body oil, grease and sweat accumulation. This is removed through the surface accumulation into the leather structure. Penetrated contamination may take a few treatments to wick them out. Degreasing most often reveal surface damages hidden from this layers of contamination.

This sequence of process is most likely the route to take.

#1 Preparation Cleaning and Degreasing:
Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0

#2 Leather Rejuvenation:
Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0

#3 Repairs:
Bond-3D > Impregnator-26 > Adhesor-73

#4 Sealing and Adhesion Coating:
Adhesor-73

#5 Transparent Aniline Coloring:
Aniline-76 (This is an optional step and will depends on the outcome of the preceding steps, without using airbrushing it may be tedious to get the aniline transparent coloring intensity even out).

#6 Topcoat
AnilineTop-76/21

#7 Non-Stick, Rub-Resistant Protection
Protector-B+

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

Here is the Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather Solving Guide as reference.

Product information:

Leather Bond-3D, Impregnator-26 and Aniline-76 dark-brown may be added to the kit. Airbrushing tools is essential for proper aniline coating dyestuff application for professional result.

Leather Doctor Kit A7.cl – Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
Leather Doctor® Kit A7.cl, aniline leather dye refinishing kit is designed for dyestuff and topcoat refinishing from the simple sunlight fading to the severely sweat damages from body oil and grease. Most severely penetrated, prolonged and neglected stains show a darkening effect with a sticky feel have its topcoat and dyestuff probably deteriorated by the sweat. When the stain feels sticky, it is a sign of leather denaturing and reverting to rawhide from breaking of bonds with the tanning agent. When sign of color is transfer to a white towel, it indicates that the dyestuff has also break bonds with the protein fiber. When leather is stiff or shows signs of whitish residue migrating, it shows that the fatliquor is breaking bonds as well with the protein fiber. The main component of the leather protein fiber is amphoteric while the other constituents are not; shifting of the pH mainly caused from sweat to alkalinity affects the pH imbalance. To revert from denaturing into rawhide prior to topcoat refinishing, contaminated alkaline soiling is removed with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies greasy contamination besides controlling dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of a healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Custom redyeing commences prior to topcoat refinishing. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery-feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline leathers dyestuff and topcoat refinishing system.