PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - Ekornes Stressless leather chair with headrest perspiration stain.

Questions!
07-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Ekornes Stressless leather chair with headrest perspiration stain.

I have an Ekornes *stressless chair that I would like to treat for a stain from perspiration which happened years ago. I used to be a *daily runner/jogger *and one day I sat in the chair when my hair was wet from perspiration, I did not notice until later, but my perspiration caused a permanent stain.* Other that the spot ( see photo attached), the chair is in very good condition.
I am probably expecting too much, but if possible would like to get rid of the stain.* Is it possible?*
Here are photos of the perspiration stain I was referring to. As I mentioned, I tried to use saddle soap, and that make things worse. See also the pdf file where I have a comment.
As you can see the back of the chair is one piece of leather rather than separate panels. It also has six buttons which might add to the restoration effort.**

Background:* The chair is about 15 years old and has been in storage.* It is an Ekornes Stress type and the color is a brown.*
I would like to remove the stain, but am hesitant to try and do the whole back section because I do not want to ruin it.…any suggestions appreciated.
Can you tell from the photos if the leather is pigmented?
Thanks again for your recommendations.
Best regards,
Will Maher

Roger Koh
07-13-2013, 01:11 PM
>>>would like to get rid of the stain.* Is it possible?*

Picture #6 do not look like they are surface stain, rather penetrated.
Considering that it is old and compounded with alkaline saddle soap may have chemically denature the leather structure as well as deteriorating the finishes coloring.

It will require the restoration of the leather chemistry integrity prior to a color refinishing.

Leather is “amphoteric” and in this situation the fermenting perspiration stains have shift the protein leather fiber ionic negative (-ve) and thus affected the other ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agent, fatliquor and dyestuff.

Breaking of hydrogen bonds between the leather protein fiber and the tanning agent will result in stickiness or sliminess when wet finger test it.

Breaking of hydrogen bonds between the leather protein fiber and the fatliquor will result in stiffness when the leather is wet and dry again. When stiff leathers is flex it cracks.

Breaking of hydrogen bonds between the leather protein fiber and the dyestuff will cause bleeding when test with a white wet towel (more so on aniline then semi-aniline and not on pigmented leathers).

To get rid of the stains would need to follow this recommended sequence of processes.

Degreasing:
Degreasing is perform with a pH 2.2 waterbased degreaser follows with a pH 2.0 acidifier. This is a dual purpose process both to get rid of the foreign contamination and stabilize the leather chemistry integrity. Products to use Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0

Hydrating:
There are a few purposes to use the pH 3.3 hydrator. 1st is to help to move the suspended foreign soiling particulates to resurface. 2nd is to relaxes and separates the stick together fiber. 3rd is to further charged the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) preconditioning for an effective fat and oil replenishing.
This is also the final stage of wet cleaning to determine the degreasing result. Any leather and finishes damages will reveal at this stage.
Product used is Hydrator-3.3.

Fatliquoring or fat and oil replenishing:
This is the process to replenish the original tanning fat and oil, to impart softness and strength when the leather dries.
Product used is Fatliquor-5.0.

Dry Preparation:
This process is the physical removal of deteriorated finishes ready for repairs and refinishing.

Repairs:
Matching leather damage repairs is done at this stage. Severe denaturing of the leather may affect finishes adhesion and this area may not be as durable as the non-denatured areas.
Product for structural weakness is Impregnator-26.

Sealer Coating:
Sealer coating, undercoating or primer is to ensure proper anchorage between the existing leather finishes and the color coating from delaminating. Product use is Adhesor-73

Color Coating:
This color coating determines the color that is able to block off the existing finish damage area. Matching existing color over the darker restored area may require more coating. A darker color over the restored area will produce a finer finish. A choice of standard pigment and micro-pigment may be use for refinishing. For a finer finish the micro-pigment is preferred.
Product use Pigment-64 or Micro-54.

Top Coating:
Topcoat seals the color coating and also determines the luster level with a choice of gloss, satin or matte.
Product use is either matching the pigment or micro mentioned above.
Product used PigmentTop-64 or MicroTop-54.
Non-stick, Rub-resistant Protection
Use Protector-B+

Picture #1 shows some color contrasting between sunlight exposed and hidden area. Color matching is only closed to the hidden area, thus not
pleasing to the eyes when doing a refinishing only to the damaged area.

For a 15 years old leather chair, it is timely to do an overall color refinishing.

Let me know you think?

Roger
www.Leatherdoctor.com

Products mentioned can be found in this kit P8.cl

Leather Doctor Kit P8.cl – Pigmented Leather Color Refinishing Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit P8.cl, pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness and strengthening overstretching weakness for another cycle of practical use. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Structural weakness from overstretching is re-strengthens with Impregnator-26, while surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73. These repair and auxiliary products where necessary reduces the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.