PDA

View Full Version : Ford King Ranch aniline leather needs cleaning.

Questions!
06-04-2013, 10:20 PM
I attached some pics.
Overall, the condition is pretty good.
The previous owner took pretty good care.
There may be some body odor in the seats.
There’s a bit of old man smell to the vehicle.
The rear seats are pretty good overall, the pics seems to come out a little darker than they really are.
(where are you guys located? – Just wondering – Glad I found you)

Roger thanks for the response.
The more help I can get with this the better so it sounds good to transfer this to the help & support forum.
I have never worked to restore leather like this before.
Do I need to do anything for that to happen?

Arm Rest Pics – Notice the darkening where the driver rested his arm.
Probably perspiration staining? (Arm rest 2, Arm rest).
Like to get rid of the stain.

Drivers Seat Back – Darkening in the middle of that seat/back area.
Once again probably perspiration.
Also below that there are some very light areas that are lighter than the leather near the head rest.

Drivers Seat Bottom – General discoloration.
Dark areas near the left side and front edges.
Want to get rid of the stains and the dark areas.
Would also like the leather to look a bit newer.

Driver seat bottom Close up – There are some droplet like stains.

Passenger Seat mark – Small white stain, looks like paint.
Not critical to remove but would be nice.

I showed the rear seat picture just to show how even the color was in back.
The color in front is lighter and very uneven with area’s that are lighter or darker that the most of the seat surface.

The body odor is present when you enter the vehicle.
I would assume just the driver’s seat as the rest of the car shows little wear.

First is stain removal and odor removal.
However, I would also like the color to even and I would like the front seats to resemble the rear seats for color.

Questions!
06-04-2013, 10:24 PM
continue...

Questions!
06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
pictures continue. . .

Roger Koh
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
>>>Arm Rest Pics – Notice the darkening where the driver rested his arm.
>>>Probably perspiration staining? (Arm rest 2, Arm rest).
>>>Like to get rid of the stain.

Armrest perspiration staining should be looking at pictures #1 & #2.
This stain is removed with Degreaser-2.2 with a pH of 2.2 to control the structure integrity of the leather in conjunction with degreasing.
Sweat when fermented comes with odor that you are experiencing have shifted the leather ionic negative.
The shifting of the ionic negative protein fiber of the leather causes issues like dye bleeding and the leaching out of fat and oil that will stiffen the leather and when flexed will leads to eventual cracks.
Degreaser-2.2 with Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) will takes care of removing body contamination and stabilizes the pH balance of the leather structure.
While doing so the surface existing damages will also be revealed with the lost of luster from the topcoat.
Depending on the outcome of the result, the minimum requirement is to restore the topcoat with color and surface repairs as an option.

>>>Drivers Seat Back – Darkening in the middle of that seat/back area.
>>>Once again probably perspiration.
>>>Also below that there are some very light areas that are lighter than the leather near the head rest.

Picture #4 & # 10 shows to a lesser extend of body perspiration contamination.
The restoration process would be similar to the armrest.

>>>Drivers Seat Bottom – General discoloration.
>>>Dark areas near the left side and front edges.
>>>Want to get rid of the stains and the dark areas.
>>>Would also like the leather to look a bit newer.

Pictures #5, #6, #8, #9, #11.
The restorative cleaning process would be similar to the armrest with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0.
You may have the leather looking good, but it will also shows where the topcoat have been removed from friction rubs as well.
To have the leather to look newer have two options, without involving coloring only with topcoats will enhance the color as well or a new color applied.
To restore it to original leather finish types, a transparent dyestuff is used with matching luster topcoat.

>>>Driver seat bottom Close up – There are some droplet like stains.

Looking at picture #3 & #7, these area penetrated stains and if they are oil or grease related, the Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 will remove them. If they are protein based then a d’Protein-10 is required to break down the coagulating protein stain. In both cases the surface topcoat is also affected and finishes renewal is recommended.

>>>Passenger Seat mark – Small white stain, looks like paint.
>>>Not critical to remove but would be nice.

Degreaser-2.2 will probable remove it, otherwise Stripper-2.3 will. When stripper is use, the finish is removed as well.

>>>I showed the rear seat picture just to show how even the color was in back.
>>>The color in front is lighter and very uneven with area’s that are lighter or darker that the most of the seat surface.

I believe the front may expose to more sunlight than the back resulting in the color difference.
The font darker areas are contaminated with body soiling and mostly they are from sweat.
Sweat is damaging to the leather from its urea contents that turn ammonic.
The surface grains may be damaged at certain point that when repairs will takes on a darkening effect that looks similar to preexisting appearance.
This repairs is either done with Impregnator-26 for structure weakness or with Adhesor-73 when surface is roughen-up or sueded.
The idea of this surface repair if necessary is to restore the smooth skin surface prior to redyeing.

>>>The body odor is present when you enter the vehicle.
>>>I would assume just the driver’s seat as the rest of the car shows little wear.

Most of the body odor is derived from the oil that has impregnated the leather, when they are degreased the odor is remove as well.
A deodorizer helps to control body odor as an option, leather-scent is also available to mask the present of body odor with Protector-B+

>>>First is stain removal and odor removal.

Most of the stains mentioned the perspiration and the unknown stains are penetrated, that is below the surface of the leather.
When these stains are suspended, most part will be towel extracted and the leather will further absorb some.
The reabsorbed stains need a further step to get them out of the leather structure by a wicking process with Hydrator-3.3.
Overall the especially perspiration or sweat stains will result in deteriorating result to the finishes and the leather grain as well.
These leather damages surfaces will appears as darkening scars and when transparent dyestuff is used to refinish, the blemishes will show up, unless a darker shade of color to camouflage these darkening effect is taken into consideration.

>>>However, I would also like the color to even and I would like the front seats to resemble the rear seats for color.

As mentioned above the sweat contaminated areas may later produce a darkening effect, unless a darker shade of color is considered to camouflage them, thus the overall coloring will depends how dark a brown can easily camouflage these blemishes.

Solutions are all available.

It is your decision how best you wish to do it.

I would think it is easier to consider a 100% restoration to show-room condition and opting a darker shade for better appearance that looks good and smells like fresh leather for the next 5 years.

What do you think?

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Probably you would be looking at this starter kit

Leather Doctor Kit Aa7.cl - Auto-Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
Leather Doctor® Kit Aa7.cl, auto-aniline leather dye refinishing kit is design for color refinishing from the simple sunlight fading to the severely body oil, grease and sweat damages. Most severely penetrated, prolonged and neglected stains show a darkening effect with probable finishes damages affecting the structure, dyestuff and topcoat. When contaminated stain feels sticky, it may be a sign of leather denaturing to rawhide. When sign of color is transfer to a damp white towel, it may indicate alkaline overexposure. When leather is stiff, it is a sign of diminishing fat and oil. Protein fiber, the main component of leather is amphoteric while the other constituents (tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor) are not and contamination that causes shifting of the protein pH value weakens the leather constituents’ ionic attraction. Restoration to both the leather structure and the finishes would include the following sequence of procedures. Remaining contaminated damaged finishes if any, may be removed for an even appearance with Stripper-2.3. Contaminated alkaline soiling is removes with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies greasy contamination besides controlling dye bleeding and strengthening the attraction between the ionic tanning agent and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extract, thereafter rinse with Rinse-3.0 or further pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to a squeaky feel that prevents the leather from reverting to rawhide. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Custom redyeing commences prior to topcoat refinishing. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery-feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline leathers dyestuff and topcoat refinishing system.