PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - Leather is gone back to suede on my aniline leather sofa after a head grease stain removal - what can I do.

Questions!
12-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Yes! It was a head grease stain.

I got a leather cleaner for it and rubbed and rubbed quite hard at it not realizing I was causing so much damage.

Is there anything I can do?

Jean

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Upholstery/2004-01-01P1000671JPG216.jpg

Roger Koh
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Upholstery/RemainingGrease.jpg

The objective is to have a finish repair to the grease stain areas. as shown marked in red.

Two things we have to bear in mind are that: first, the surface has to be free of grease from either penetrated or surface (red marked areas show residual grease) and second the color has to come near so that it blends in seamlessly.

We can do either one first, however it is preferred to test out the color first, and is recommended to be done in this manner.

1] Use Stripper-2.3 to remove a hidden area of existing finish (preferably on reverse of cushion or on cushion deck.

2] Divide the stripped area by place masking tape for a color test.

3] Test #1 Apply Aniline Dye-21 (red-brown), color intensity will depend on how many coats are applied (record the coating from test areas eg. 1 coat, 2 coats, 3 coats or 4 coats.
The actual color is determine by the topcoat to be applied thereafter with Topcoat-79G (it will magnify the color intensity as well).

4] Apply Topcoat-79 to all the testing and see which testing comes close to the existing color necessity for repairs.

5] If the color comes near then the color matching is completed, otherwise the color can be adjusted with either a dark-brown or black to increase the color intensity or lighter the color either yellow or orange to match.

A test out of the color matching is important so that the actual application should be very precise and accurate to achieve the desire result.

Meanwhile the surface have to be prepared free of grease residue that may impede even absorption.

The red mark area looks like there are greasy surface residue and need to be erased with leather Eraser-4 for an inspection. A shallow grease penetration may require Stripper-2.3 to remove and a deeper penetration may require Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0.

Option of surface preparation:

1] Use Eraser-4 – erase and inspect – if unsatisfactory – process step 2

2] Use Stripper-2.3 to towel wipe shallow penetrated grease – when dry erase with Eraser-4 as step 1] – inspect – if unsatisfactory proceed with step 3

3] Use Degreaser-2.2 applied and scrub with Eraser-4 deep into the leather, leave almost dry and rinse with Rinse-3.0 with help of horsehair brush and towel extract.

4] Lightly spray Fatliquor-5.0 and let it absorb evenly into the leather structure and leave it dry.

5] When the leather is almost dry spray Hydrator-3.3 over the entire areas including the surrounding to remove surface strays of Fatliquor-5.0.

5] Leave it crispy dry and erase with Eraser-4 as step 1 – inspect and ready for the test out color matching application.

Please show pictures of every step if you are doing it right.

Like to see that the finish-removed edges is feather out so that new application will have less of a seam, otherwise the entire panel has to be removed entirely for a better seamless appearance.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

JEANEARB
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM
followed your instructions but the leather goes dark and hard when dry. the product just soaks
into the the leather. is there anything else i can try.

Roger Koh
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

May I know which product (the product just soaks into the the leather)

Please show pictures of every step if you are doing it right.